Wednesday, April 12, 2006

War Photographer Documentary (James Nactwey)
Portrait of a Photographer (David La Chapelle)
Sweet Oz Chocolates
Flatacinno

It is Sunday afternoon and I plan to indulge in photography, chocolate and coffee at home. There were two documentaries on the ABC this afternoon the first on war photographer James Nactwey considered one fo the bravest and most important war photographers of our time. He has answered many of the questions his about the role of the photographer during war and poverty. He justifies his presence by arguing that he photographs may contribute to bringing about peace.

Portrait of a Photographer looks at David LaChapelle who was discovered by Andy Warhol and is one of the worlds foremost fashion photographers. His work is conceptual and highly stylised and in my opinion a waste of time.

A box of chocolates filled with a range of chocolates including sweet creamy sickly flavours is not my idea of chocolate heaven. There are always heaps of chocolates filled with coffee, turkish delight, cherry liquor, truffle or praline. I end up reading the back of the box to make sure I don't endure one of those suprises.

Sweet Oz chocolates an Australian company makes a variety of small individually wrapped quality chocolates with sweet fruity centres I adore. Caramel, peppermint, strawberry, orange and mango truffle are just some of the flavours I have come across at the local supermarket. The peppermint creme centre complements the dark chocolate perfectly. When I feel like a little bit of chocolate heaven on a Sunday Sweet Oz chocolates are just it. At $1.10 for a chocolate half the size of a commercial bar they are well worth the investment.

The aroma of ground fresh coffee beans fills the air as I carefully fill the hopper and press the button. My lecturer's voice from TTBFB12A Prepare and Serve Espresso Coffee comes back to me. Is the coffee I brought from a European food speciality shop fresh? Coffee beans deteriorate very quickly after roasting and exposure to light, oxygen, heat, moisture and light and equal loss of aroma and flavour. They had been sitting in heshian bags the ones with the little wooden stick on the hand made sign telling me their origin and blend.

Other good information from my lecture follows as I spoon the coffee into the percolator. Blob, blob, blob as the water drizzles through releasing the coffee. Advice on packaging, usedby dates and storage methods and questions which I should have asked my supplier and I didn't. I seem to have considerable trust in my supplier.

I fill the saucepan with a little cold milk and whisk madly hoping to reproduce the cafe style milk without an espresso machine. Bubbles and froth begin to appear not exactly like the milk produced in a cafe but close. The coffee from the percolator is ready and I assemble my indulgence with a two thirds milk and a third froth complete with chocolate topping. It is not a cappuccino and not a flat white but what I call a flatuccino.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home